500 movies are produced in Japan annually, but only a few are screened abroad. This is the first attempt to introduce the Swiss audience to Japanese independent movies – at Zürich’s newest cinema hotspot: The Houdini.
The line-up includes six productions filmed between 2012 and 2014 – most of them being Swiss premieres. The organizer, Mrs. Mizuki Mazbara, has handpicked these movies as they capture the current Japan at their best. And as a special goodie for movie enthusiasts, several screenings are followed by Q&A sessions with directors and actresses.
– “A suspenseful drama about a tragedy caused by a cycle of hatred.”
– Thu (Nov 6) 7:30 PM / Sat (Nov 8) 5:40 PM
My House (2012)
– “There is a ‘house’ standing that no one has ever seen in the corner of a city. It is the revolutionary ‘house’ that is collapsible and portable, moving free to anywhere.”
– Fri (Nov 7) 6:20 PM / Sat (Nov 8) 7:00 PM
The Frivolous (2013)
– “A unique documentary film based on never wining political candidate Mac AKASAKA, president of the smile party.”
– Fri (Nov 7) 9:00 PM / Sat (Nov 8) 9:00 PM
Bon Lin (2014)
– “A special glimpse into the Japanese youth culture of today in Akihabara.”
– Fri (Nov 7) 9:20 PM / Sat (Nov 8) 9:20 PM
The End of the Special Time We Were Allowed (2014)
– “This documentary tells the story of Sota Masuda, a young musician who once had a promising career after winning a talent show but failed to develop it further.”
– Fri (Nov 7) 6:00 PM
The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013)
– The latest anime marvel from the famed Studio Ghibli, based on a Japanese fairy tale.
– Sat (Nov 8) 4:20 PM
For trailers and ticketing information, check out the GINMAKU Festival Website
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- Why Instagramers will love the new GoldenPass Express train - September 18, 2019
- Swiss wine guide with 9 favorite places for wine tastings - August 25, 2019
- Why I trust these Relais & Châteaux hotels in Switzerland - August 20, 2019