- This event has passed.
Japanese Inspirations (Kunsthaus Zürich)
Feb 20, 2015 - May 10, 2015CHF22
Japanese art is of fundamental importance to the development of European Modernism.
Almost all the great artists drew inspiration from its motifs and characteristic style, including Monet, Gauguin and Van Gogh. In fact, Vincent Van Gogh did not only paint sunflowers – he was into Japanese motifs as well.
For the first time in over 25 years, a comprehensive exhibition examines the phenomenon known as Japonisme. The exhibit Japanese Inspirations features more than 350 works of art from the period of 1860 to 1910. It is a fascinating look into the perceptions of Japan that prevailed in Europe at the time.
– Opening times: Tu/Fr/Sa/Su from 10 AM to 6 PM, We/Th from 10 AM to 8 PM
– Guided tours in English: Mar 21 and May 9 (1 PM)
– Guided tour in Japanese: Feb 28 (1 PM)
– Guided tour in French: Apr 11 (1 PM)
– Kunsthaus Zürich “Japanese Inspirations” information
(Feature image copyright by Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam)