Just in time for the New Year, winter has decided to pay a visit to the Alps.
The popular skiing region 4 Vallées/Mt. Fort has been blessed with enough fresh snow in recent days to open up most of their slopes. This exceptional skiing area is made up of four valleys which are all included in one ski pass. Thanks to this vast network of slopes and trails, the possibilities for winter sports are limitless.
Here are 16 things to know about skiing at Les 4 Vallées/Mt. Fort:
1. Four valleys south of the Rhône river along with their five villages make up this skiing region: Verbier, Bruson, La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Veysonnaz and Thyon.
2. Les 4 Vallées/Mt. Fort is Switzerland's largest ski resort and ranks among the largest in Europe.
3. The main benefit of this cooperation is obvious: One lift tickets buys access to 82 lifts and 412 kilometers of slopes!
4. Each resort has its own character: Verbier is the place to be with its international flair. It is situated on a sunny plateau and offers a unique panoramic view of the Mont-Blanc and the Combins massif.
5. Singer James Blunt owns a chalet in Verbier, and a ski lift was named after him: Les Attelas (James Blunt).
— Matthew Knight (@maknight) February 4, 2014
6. This April, the freeride world champions will be crowned as part of the Swatch Xtreme Verbier 2016:
(Photograph copyright David Carlier/Freeride World Tour)
7. Across from Verbier inside a nature preserve is Bruson, a place perfect for families.
8. La Tzoumaz with its north facing slopes is perfect for skiing in late winter.
9. Nendaz with its direct access of Mt. Fort feels downright homey.
10. People in Veysonnaz are said to be most friendly (possibly due to the 300 days of sunshine per year?).
11. The Snowboard Cross World Cup takes place in Veysonnaz on March 5 and 6, 2016.
12. While skiing in Thyon, you will get a view of the largest gravity dam in the world: Grande Dixence.
13. Enjoy a sweeping panoramic view from the top of the Mt. Fort glacier. At 3300 meters above sea, this peak offers views as far as the Matterhorn, the Grand Combin and Mont Blanc.
14. For the best off piste skiing, head to Mont-Gelé at an altitude of 3023 meters above sea. It is accessible by cable car from Les Attelas.
15. You can ship your skiing equipment from any Swiss train station to the resort of your choice.
16. Snow'n'Rail tickets conveniently include reduced train fares from your home to Les 4 Vallées, as well as lift tickets.
Purchase a Snow'n'Rail ticket for 4 Vallées/Mt. Fort.
(This post is sponsored by SBB RailAway)
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- Live from Switzerland: the future of luxury hospitality - December 4, 2019
- The 2020 Roger Federer coin: here’s all you need to know - December 3, 2019
- A rejuvenating stay at Grand Hotel Quellenhof Bad Ragaz - November 28, 2019