Interested in writing?
The 6th Annual Zurich Writers Workshop has recently opened for registration. It will take place Oct 23 – 25 at the Volkshaus in Zürich.
The weekend includes a Sunday afternoon author reading and panel discussion, which is open to the public (although prior registration is necessary), as well as two intense weekend workshops focusing on specific genres of writing.
Here are five reasons you should attend, from the very biased opinion of Chantal, one of the authors-in-residence:
1. You’ll learn how to improve your fiction writing. Emylia Hall is our fiction author in residence. The author of three novels, including one set in Lausanne, she’ll be teaching a workshop on the craft of fiction with a focus on sense of place. Students will also have the opportunity to have their worked critiqued.
2. You’ll learn that it only takes 800 words to launch a writing career. I’m teaching a workshop called Miniature Memoir: Writing and Publishing Personal Essays. Writing a personal essay is one of the best ways to break into freelancing. During my workshop, I’ll take you from essay idea to international writing career, one miniature memoir at a time.
3. You’ll be able to ask questions. The author reading and Q&A session on Sunday afternoon, Oct 25, is open to the public (with prior registration). I’ll be reading from my book, Swiss Life: 30 Things I Wish I’d Known. Emylia Hall will be reading from her new novel, The Sea Between Us. And then we’ll be answering everything you’ve ever wanted to know about writing, not writing, life in Switzerland, and life after Switzerland.
4. You’ll meet other writers. Form critique groups, find a friend, or just get inspired. The workshop welcomes 30 writers from Switzerland and abroad who are as passionate about writing and finding fellow writers to share their work with as you are.
5. You’ll love October in Zurich. October is a stunning time to visit Zurich — if you’re not already here, that is. The leaves peak about the week of our workshop and there are no tourists but still plenty of sunshine.
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- Swiss wine guide with 9 favorite places for wine tastings - August 25, 2019
- Why I trust these Relais & Châteaux hotels in Switzerland - August 20, 2019
- Casting call: Who wants to be an INFLUENCER? ✰ Apply now! - August 13, 2019