Ever since my childhood, Rapperswil has found ways to capture my attention. Back then, it was those fun visits to the kids' zoo or adventurous climbs up the castle walls. Later, it was the meandering through alleys and strolling along the lake.
And by now, Rapperswil has become our favorite destination for a quick getaway! It is where we "dive under" for a few hours to soak up some sun...
Rapperswil's Rose Garden
The beginnings of Rapperswil's love affair with roses goes way back, as two of these majestic flowers are part of the municipal coat of arms. However, only since 1913 do visitors get to enjoy the beauty of actual rose bushes.
It was no simple feat to find space in this Medieval town, but the dedication paid off: The rose garden sits at the foot of the castle, nestled between the lake and the vineyards.
In 1958, the city decided to plant yet more rose bushes in order to pay tribute to its coat of arms. Today, no less than 15'000 rose bushes offer visitors delights for the eyes and noses - and for plenty of photo opportunities!
- All about Rapperswil's roses
- Rapperswil Tourism offers guided tours of the rose gardens (in German). The roses here bloom through October.
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- Our stylish getaway to Hotel Schweizerhof Bern & THE SPA - May 14, 2019
- Our ultimate guide to seeing the Alps on a Swiss postal bus - May 7, 2019
- Why Frau Gerolds Garten in Zürich is an urban oasis - May 3, 2019