Because nothing interesting ever happened in November, the Swiss national radio and TV stations SRF, RSI, RTS and RTR will dedicate a big part of their program to a popular subject: The Swiss (Die Schweizer, Gli Svizzeri, Les Suisses, Ils Svizzers)
A Look at History
Following the model of the German pendant "Die Deutschen", six historical Swiss persons will be portrayed in four "docu-fiction" movies:
- Werner Stauffacher (according to tradition, representative of the canton Schwyz at the Rütlischwur and the Battle of Morgarten)
- The Warhorse and the Saint - Hans Waldmann (mayor of Zürich and military leader) and Niklaus von der Flüe (military leader, councillor, hermit, patron saint of Switzerland)
- Henri Dufour (Engineer and General during the Sonderbundskrieg) - The General who saved Switzerland
- Fight for the Gotthard - Alfred Escher (railway pioneer, founder of Credit Suisse and president of the national council) and Stefano Franscini (initial member of the federal council, statistician and initiator of the ETH)
When the details of the program became official, there was a lot of criticism because no women were considered for the main roles. Also, the name of the program is the male version in German ("Die Schweizer" instead of "Die SchweizerInnen", which would be inclusive of females).
This controversy stirred quite a debate in the press and online (#dieschweizer). Some interesting suggestions have been made on females who could have been portrayed.
Generally, the supporting program seems to be interesting as well, especially if you are interested in learning the local language, understanding the culture and/or are generally interested in history. This is a once in a lifetime chance!
According to the Swiss way of life, each language region has to do their own thing. So each of the stations is broadcasting the documentaries at a different day and time: Check the website of your favorite Swiss station for more information!
(Guest post courtesy of 11HoursInTheTinPan)
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- The Butcher and his Daughter Restaurant in Zürich - August 31, 2020
- Copy/paste the Flims Water Trail into your bucket list! - August 30, 2020
- Why our getaway to the Beau-Rivage Geneva is 100% memorable - August 13, 2020