While hanging out at the lake the other day, we thought it would be a good time to reflect on our first year back in Switzerland. So we consolidated our observations and came up with the sequel to our series of sure-fire ways to know whether you are Swiss!
Food: You know you’re Swiss if...
- you get frustrated when you go abroad and find that stores do not carry at least 10 different kinds of Swiss chocolate and 15 kinds of Swiss cheese.
- you know what "Röschti" is (and have crossed the "Röschtigrabe" at some point).
- you were legally allowed to drink beer and wine at the age of sixteen.
- you prefer "Elmer Citro" rather than "Sprite".
- you own a Soda Club machine.
- you have ever prepared a dish based on a Betty Bossi recipe.
- you are not surprised when the grocery clerk greets you by name.
Geography: You know you’re Swiss if...
- you have ever been confused with a Swede.
- you have ever been asked - upon stating your nationality - whether you live in the mountains and whether you can yodel.
- you think that driving somewhere for four hours is a hell of a long time.
Language: You know you’re Swiss if...
- you are fluent in at least three languages and think it is completely normal.
- you routinely have to explain that “Swiss” is not a language.
- you get amused when you see Swiss German people being subtitled on German television.
- you think it is normal to have six different public television channels in three different languages.
- you can not only pronounce "Chuchichäschtli" but also know what it means!
- you get embarrassed when you run into other Swiss tourists abroad who converse in Swiss German.
Politics: You know you’re Swiss if...
- you have ever been asked who the president of Switzerland is and then failed miserably trying to explain why you have lost track…
- you have ever been asked by your non-Swiss friends to intervene in a fight and used "Hey, I'm Swiss!" as an excuse not to.
- when asked to explain how certain things work in Switzerland, you commonly use the phrase "it differs from canton to canton..."
Sports: You know you’re Swiss if...
- you went to a state-funded ski camp every year with your classmates in high school.
- skis are like extensions of your feet, because you have learned to ski before you learned to walk!
Miscellaneous: You know you’re definitively Swiss if...
- you used to walk to kindergarten without supervision, wearing a triangular orange reflection band around your neck.
- you grew up believing all cows must wear bells (and still believe so).
- you owned a Swatch growing up... or still do!
- you grab an umbrella whenever you leave your house.
- you think showcasing your collection of garden gnomes is a way of making friends.
- you have visited Lucerne's Lion Monument but have no clue what it stands for.
- no matter how much of a "bad-ass" you think you are, you will still pick up your candy wrapper off the floor if an old lady asks you to!
Do you feel like we have just described your very personality? Or did we miss any crucial signs that you are Swiss?
(Inspired by Sanbra)
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri (see all)
- A brief guide to discovering Zürich’s Roman history - November 9, 2017
- Here’s proof that Indian summer in the Upper Engadine shines - October 23, 2017
- Psst! Here are some lesser known places in Switzerland… - October 14, 2017