While researching schools for intensive German courses in Zurich, we realized that there are different approaches and models, resulting in various quality levels of language education.
In order to save you the hassle of due diligence once you are ready to study Deutsch in Zürich, we have compiled our findings for what we propose to be the top 3 schools in Zurich. We are not affiliated with any of these schools and do not get a kick-back for referrals. We are simply providing an unbiased assessment of reviews readily available online.
Here are the top 3 German language schools in Zurich:
- Tuition (per 45 min. lesson): starting at CHF 15.90
- Class size: 4 to 10 students
- Description: Convenient location at Zurich Stadelhofen, flexible/pro-rated tuition based on starting date
- More information
- Tuition (per 45 min. lesson): CHF 12.40
- Class size: 6 to 14 students
- Description: Mature and motivated student body, everyday situations and vocabulary take precedence over grammar, various locations around Zurich
- More information (Website is in German only)
- Tuition (per 60 min. lesson): From CHF 85
- Class size: One-to-one coaching sessions
- Description: Based on personal needs and interests, you will be matched with a locally trained coach to learn German or Swiss German. You have the freedom to choose any location, and your coach will teach you real world language that is practical and relevant to you.
- More information (Mention Newly Swissed for a 60 franc discount off your first session!)
Bonus: Duolingo for Free Language Learning
Duolingo is an online community offering free language courses in more than 30 languages - including German, French and Italian. I have taken their French classes before and got sucked in by the built-in gamification elements ("Just one more level until you reach...").
I like Duolingo because it combines the traditional way of learning a language ("Basics") with interactive elements (eg. lists of top students). The best part is that language courses can be attended while on the go: The free mobile app contains much the same classes as the browser version.
Our conclusion about finding a German language school in Zürich
Although much seems to depend on the character and skill level of the particular teacher, the following schools are often reported to be of rather mediocre quality:
- Migros Klubschule (often too basic, or with many students at different skill levels)
- Alemania (class sizes tend to be large/course materials not adequate)
- Benedict (too commercial/low-paid teachers)
Please help to keep this post current by adding your own experiences in the comments below!
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- Top 13 free things to do in Zürich in winter - January 10, 2020
- Much of Switzerland is covered by a thick layer of fog - December 31, 2019
- Why Teuscher Champagne truffles are otherworldly - December 26, 2019