We are trying to give you a balanced diet here at Newly Swissed. By now, you have probably learned how to piss off the Swiss. (We know this because these articles are among the most popular.)
But what if you just want to play nice and make friends? You have arrived at the right address! Your Newly Swissed writers are sharing their collective brainpower with more ever ways to please the Swiss:
1. Say that Swiss chocolate is way better than Belgian chocolate.
2. Never bring up cuckoo clocks, because they're from Germany.
3. If you get invited by a Swiss, pretend to like playing with the house cat (even though she has claws).
4. And don’t leave by 9 PM. Try to be the last one to leave, and your hosts will consider you a true friend.
5. When you get a gift from a Swiss, always ask whether it is hand-made. If it is hand-made, you will be admired for having an eye for details. If not, at least you have asked...
6. Compliment a Swiss on the wrist watch, even if it is a plastic Swatch.
7. Carry a "Freitag" bag every day of the week.
8. Praise the fact that Swiss are always on vacation (and don't show them how jealous you are).
9. Start listing all the famous Swiss you know: Dürrenmatt, Frisch, Herzog & de Meuron, Rousseau, DJ Bobo, Federer, Hingis, Heidi.
10. Say that you love the punctuality of Swiss trains.
11. Speak quietly on public transportation.
12. But shout "Hopp Schwiiz" during a soccer game!
13. Compliment a Swiss on the geranium flowers which they use to decorate the house.
14. Lie that Swiss German is the most beautiful language you have ever heard.
15. On your birthday, bring a home-made cake to the office - or Weggli buns and chocolate bars!
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- Have you been to Festival Images Vevey? (It’s impressive.) - September 15, 2020
- I wrote a chapter for The Expert Guide to Your Life in Switzerland - September 14, 2020
- The Butcher and his Daughter Restaurant in Zürich - August 31, 2020