When you hear "Switzerland", one of the first images that probably comes to mind is that of snow covered mountains. Right?
These days, we have to be realistic about the changing image of Switzerland in the world, however. So it's possible that the name of this small country actually conjured up images of investment bankers, minarets, and Roger Federer (duh)!
For the sake of this post, let's stick with the snow theme though... So just in time for winter, I have dug up some truly chilling examples of snow and ice in Switzerland.
Personally, while I like the "fuzzy" aspects of snow and ice (no pun intended) such as skiing, ice-skating and drinking Glühwein, I do not care so much about the "blizzardly" aspects. I'm sure you know what I mean: Snow storms which cover roads for breakfast and freeze intercontinental travel for lunch! So without further ado, meet the contenders:
1. Ice Storm in Versoix, 2005
2. European Freeski Open in Laax, 2010
3. Gorner Glacier at Gornergrat, Valais
4. Cows in Tschuggen, June 2010 (!)
5. Swiss Cheese Maker (Fabian Scheffold/István Vizner)
6. Avalance (Yann Gross)
7. Underwater Ice Formations in Lake Sassolo, Ticino
8. Snowblower (Rolf Siegenthaler)
9. Guerilla Campaign for Switzerland Tourism
10. Glacier Hiking
11. Blizzard Express (Kecko)
Dimitri loves discovering new trends and covers architecture, design, start-ups and tourism.
Latest posts by Dimitri Burkhard (see all)
- Swiss events for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo Mission - June 13, 2019
- A classy weekend at Hotel Villa Principe Leopoldo in Lugano - June 11, 2019
- This roundabout in Switzerland is a vinyl turntable - May 24, 2019